Saturday, November 20, 2010

You Know You're Old When...

UA Health Center lost my medical history.  This is neither surprising nor worrisome.  However, it did require me to spend time that I would've spent re-reading Starship Troopers filling in blanks and checking boxes. 

I took the slip of paper from the receptionist, and while fumbling around a clipboard while trying to put away my insurance card and keep my book from falling out of my purse, I dropped the clipboard and the form.  The form went sailing to the floor and slipped under the chair of the guy next to me.  He politely picked it up and handed it to me.

Me: It's been one of those days.
Guy: Yes, ma'am.

WTF?  Did he just say "Yes, ma'am, " to me?  Not me, but it had to be me.  Then, it really hit me.  After years of always looking too young for my age, I finally look old enough for students to assume I am a "grown-up" and not a student. 

I wonder if I confuse people that I pass in the hallways.  Do I look tired?  Is it the short, wild curly hair instead of the flat-ironed straight hair?  I get strange looks sometimes.  What do the kiddies think of a woman who walks the halls in a Naruto t-shirt warning, "Don't make me use my sexy jutsu on you," and red sneakers?  That I look too old?  That I somehow don't belong?

Meh.  They know nothing.  They're just kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment