Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Honest Ape

This past summer at the oil-spotted beach in Gulf Shores, AL...

"I look like shit," I say to my sister-in-law (my brother's wife).
"Oh, shut up with your this," she waves her hand around her face, "and your this," she runs her hands up and down her arms.  "You're beautiful."

I don't believe her, not for one second.  But, it makes me smile because I know that, as someone who doesn't have to love me much less like me, she feels that way.  Even better, she won't hesitate to say it and be pissed at me for it.  She makes me wish I could see myself through someone else's eyes.

Later in the week, I ask, "Well, does my book suck?"
She puts down her Kindle.  "No, I like it so far, but it's missing something." 
I ready my pencil.  "Can you be more specific?"

I am blunt and honest to a fault at times, so I appreciate honest people who aren't afraid to tell me how they feel.  Even if we don't agree, never be afraid to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment