Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reading Is Fundamental

Generally, I'm afraid of fundamentalists (read fanatics).  However, the key to keeping your brain young and in good working condition is to keep learning.  One of the best ways to do this is by reading.  To people who say they hate reading, I say that you just haven't found the right subject yet.  If my sister-in-law can get my brother to read by buying him Star Trek fanfic, then everyone can find something they like to read.

Most people find textbooks especially inaccessible, and I agree to a certain extent.  However, in this day and age and book market, writing a textbook that is virtually unreadable is pointless, unless you're doing it on a graduate or research level.  Then, you're probably shooting for being published in a specific journal.  Anyway, my point is that you need to read, and if you're a student, that includes your textbooks. 

Having said all that, the following cartoon gives a much better argument.  Thanks, again, to Dave.

No comments:

Post a Comment